Register
Back to forum: Art/Design Forum

4 Users appreciate this thread.

Art Superguide
Started by TREEhugger101
(2014-03-30 01:23:05)
TREEhugger101 (2014-03-30 01:23:05)
Introduction To Art:

When you are first starting, you want to start small. If you try to draw something large and complicated, chances are it will turn out wonky and lopsided.

1. As said before, start small. I strongly encourage starting with stick figures! Yes, stick figures. Not the boring type, though. Try to make the forearms/forelegs chunky and thick- then gradually add to the rest of the body. You can use cylindrical/cone-shapes for the limbs. Gradually evolve it to a 3D-stick man.

Here's an example.

[simg] http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/13__05_26_48/5%20-%20%20turntable_0017.jpg5dc132e4-379c-43fd-b012-51e83e16b000Large.jpg[/simg]

See how the concave parts of the man are shaded darker, then gradually simmer to light? Practice shading and proportion.

Also, remember to draw lightly when you are making your people bases!

2. Detail! When you have gotten the hang of a basic shell of your person, start on details. Is the hair completely flat to his/her skull? No. Make the hair chunky- when you have a cartoonish base such as this one, detailed hair looks out of place. Remember, leave the outline of your person's body as a guide. When drawing clothes, remember: CLOTHES ARE FLEXIBLE. Do not use just straight lines for shirtsleeves- this makes your drawing look flat and rigid. You shouldn't make the clothes overly wrinkly, either, it makes you look like a noob. Where does the fabric fold? Are the clothes tight fitting?

Eyes: Sometimes just the classic circle with the black dot inside is good enough. If you want to delve into really detailed eyes, wait 'till you're better.

Eye size really depends on the angle of your character's face. If his/her face is pointing slightly to the left, the eye closest to you is the biggest. The size difference between eyes is not drastic, though. Keep that in mind.

Other Facial Features: Let me start you off with a really great example from Owlturd Comix. The artist of these comics, Shen, is really talented. Check out his blog sometime.

[simg]https://31.media.tumblr.com/df2e191f073df39673eb61a8853c0e23/tumblr_inline_n2d03cWySq1rfj0lj.png [/simg]

See how he draws facial features? Sometimes a simple raised triangle as a nose and a line for the mouth is good enough.

3. Extra Tips.

When you are drawing a character in motion, or with baggy clothes, remember the flexibility of the figure. Where are the joints? Are the joints curved or pointed?

Words cannot fathom the depth of the importance of PROPORTION! If your drawing is disproportionate, it will look ugly and lopsided. And gross. Use ovals and other shapes to determine the texture and shape of the limbs/attachments/etc. However, in simpler drawings, using shapes and such to determine proportion is not necessary.

Things to remember!

DEVELOP YOUR OWN STYLE! When you try to mirror somebody else's drawing, it isn't your own. Split from the pack and create your own way of drawing. But if your style is ugly and disproportionate, I will shame you.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO JUST START DRAWING WITHOUT EXAMPLES, FIRST! Read comics! Read webcomics! Browse art blogs! Go to art museums! Develop a general idea of the basics of drawing and shoot for it! Bring around a small notepad and pencil, if possible. Note ideas from your surroundings. Try different styles. If you can just go sit in the sun at a cafe or whatever, draw your surroundings. This really, really helps.

BRANCH OUT! When you become very good, consider getting a digital drawing tablet. I have one of my own and it's extremely useful for digital design.

Go out and get different mediums. Oil pastels work wonders and look vivid and bright. Paint is awesome for landscapes. However, try to keep away from oil paints until you have mastered painting. Oil painting is pretty hard and very, very easy to mess up on.

However, nothing is more versatile than the good old-fashioned pencil and paper. Speaking of paper: There are different thicknesses of paper- printer paper isn't good for paint! There are many 'weights' of paper. Try those.

Good luck and remember: Art takes a lot of time to master. You have to be patient and practice for years to build up your skill. But in the end, it's worth it.

Finally. This is to the people who think they can't draw.

ANYBODY CAN DRAW. GIVING UP IS THE THING THAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK. SURE, DRAWING CAN BE HARD, BUT THE SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM IS TO TRY AT IT AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL YOU SUCCEED. BASICALLY, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
AND DON'T YOU GO GIVING ME EXCUSES BECAUSE I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN.

(I may add more tips to this later.)
Another example from Owlturd Comix (I seriously love this blog, but not as much about Hyperbole And A Half.)
[simg] https://31.media.tumblr.com/e43cf4d8543b4f29f28a56e682ebad3b/tumblr_inline_n3xjykWjwR1rfj0lj.png [/simg]

This post has been edited one or more times, the last time was:
2014-05-18 01:51:37

DrakeJericho (2014-03-30 02:02:08)

Stickied!
Really encouraging and helpful. Nice.

TREEhugger101 (2014-03-30 04:29:10)
@mega
You draw mostly ponies and other animals, right?
Try something vague, sketch-like, not detailed but still awesome looking.

OOH. Look at the Ask Street Scootaloo blog on Tumblr- Scootaloo all grown up.
Something along the lines of that.
Watch MLP- try drawing scenes from it, then branch from that. Notice how the ponies are shaped- even tracing pony templates can help.

Same applies with other things to draw as well.
But, remember, you gotta develop your own style. Your own unique way of drawing.

2014-03-30 04:52:04

TREEhugger101 (2014-03-30 23:00:25)
@mega

[simg] http://25.media.tumblr.com/da838657fd38f6e4d53ddb85c2681e1b/tumblr_mx1aijPeyJ1ruxlufo1_500.jpg [/simg]

This looks more majestic than words can describe.

But, I digress. Mind showing me some of your artwork that you don't like?

takahata101 (2014-08-15 05:19:04)
I don't know how to upload pics.
A true love is someone who you can have fun with in everything you do always. They would join you even if everyone stares at you funny because they don't care what you look like as long as they can be near you. A true love is the one you call special.
jamila02 (2015-02-20 12:25:37)
cool!
This really helps and it is great tip for beginners.
thanx!

2015-02-20 12:27:41

PM and add me!
I won't bite.
HeroOfTrains (2015-03-24 04:27:42)
Teach me your ways, Senpai.
I'm Perfect_Chaos
Badly made gif
Popstar20 (2016-02-23 16:19:55)
how do you post pictures on here?

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNTVu9XLZqqU1Mh-f0P_9byb-M2jkZVqla9KPfzQ29aES_t7Rl[/IMG]

This topic's ID: 68813

Back to forum: Art/Design Forum